Monday, June 4, 2007

Slackware:proven to be toughest Linux distro

I installed slackware on my system.

THe installation went smoothly,although the graphical installation of SLackware is quite command-like but the installation is very easy.But I'm little sad about the fact that I could not install grub for my installation,it only offers lilo which I think is not as good as Grub as I have to reinstall lilo if I update my kernel.

I chose KDE as my GUI and when I booted into Slackware,I'm surprised that I could not get my connection ready to use.I thought Slackware had already setup the network for me.

So I entered the ifconfig-a command and it detected my NIC and I thought it was easy.I just entered the following command;

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.151 up

But I still cannot get my network work.So I went to google( I rebooted to Windows) and I found that I need to edit something and add something to kernel route and I was blurred.

Although the GUI is very simple(it's designed to work without GUI anyway) but I think Slackware offers toughest distro in Unix.It is like something like 4x4 5-speed pickup truck,very hard to handle but if you know how to handle it you will get to know how to handle the other car(other Unix distro)

And can anyone offer me a solution how to get my network ready?

6 comments:

Ahmed said...

Being a long time user and big fan of Slackware, I have to agree with most of your points. Slackware is something that requires enough knowhow, but if you have it, it's the most powerful thing you have at your disposal.

I have Slackware servers that have been running for years without requiring active updates and administration and have performed very well. However, I wouldn't recommend it on the desktop. I have also shifted to using Ubuntu on my laptop, mainly because of convenience and "compatibility" with my colleagues and subordinates who are also using it.

Slackware is excellent if you have the knowledge to customize and tweak a bare-bones system to your liking or if you want to learn to do that to a Linux system. However, it would be better to go with something like Ubuntu (desktop) or CentOS (server) if you just want to get things up and running quickly.

Ahmed said...

Oh, once you assign an IP (via ifconfig), you also need to add a default route and dns servers.

route add default gw 192.168.x.x

vi /etc/resolv.conf
(then add your nameserver entries)

You can also make these permanent by using "netconfig" which prompts for the information and saves it in the config files.

Linux howtos and questions said...

Thanks I will try that.

Linux howtos and questions said...

I followed your instruction but I can't get it to work

I entered the following command;

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.151 up
route add default gw 192.168.1.1

Is it right.

192.168.1.151 is my NIC address and 192.168.1.1 is my router address

I had entered the DNS.

Unknown said...

root@AB60R:~# which netconfig
/sbin/netconfig
root@AB60R:~#

That's the Slack utility for the task at hand. It normally runs near the end of setup when doing a new install. It's a curses (textual gui the X server is not needed).

Unknown said...

Oh, BTW, (forgot this when I shared about netconfig). Yes, Slackware is my favorite. (p.s. need to be root when run netconfig). I run as user mostly and I only do root when I admin the sys.

root@AB60R:~# cat /etc/slackware-version
Slackware 12.0.0
root@AB60R:~#

I installed slackware on my system.

THe installation went smoothly,although the graphical installation of SLackware is quite command-like but the installation is very easy.But I'm little sad about the fact that I could not install grub for my installation,it only offers lilo which I think is not as good as Grub as I have to reinstall lilo if I update my kernel.

I chose KDE as my GUI and when I booted into Slackware,I'm surprised that I could not get my connection ready to use.I thought Slackware had already setup the network for me.

So I entered the ifconfig-a command and it detected my NIC and I thought it was easy.I just entered the following command;

ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.151 up

But I still cannot get my network work.So I went to google( I rebooted to Windows) and I found that I need to edit something and add something to kernel route and I was blurred.

Although the GUI is very simple(it's designed to work without GUI anyway) but I think Slackware offers toughest distro in Unix.It is like something like 4x4 5-speed pickup truck,very hard to handle but if you know how to handle it you will get to know how to handle the other car(other Unix distro)

And can anyone offer me a solution how to get my network ready?